[geo-discuss] [Frieda.brepoels-assistant2@europarl.europa.eu: FW: Inspire second reading and Council position?]

Benjamin Henrion bh at udev.org
Fri Jun 9 10:03:07 BST 2006

Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> [060609]:
> This is a excellent news if I am right in thinking this strongly implies
> that parliament will follow the line taken in committee at the 2nd
> reading vote. If this is so I would suggest we defer all activity --
> letters, emails to supporters etc -- until after the vote. At this point
> it would just be an annoyance, particularly if there is a flood of
> email, and we should keep our powder dry until negotiations start with
> the Council post-vote.

I talked yesterday with the assistant of Brepoels, and she said that no
other amendments than the ones of the Committee will be tabled in
plenary. AFAIK, they are not yet online.

I will start asking for a meeting with the Belgian and maybe French
minister of Envirronement in order to push for rejection (that is what
the petition mandates us to do).

I hope the EP amendments are poisoning enough to get no agreement
between the Council and the EP.

After the vote, we could start arguing for rejection.

None of the EP or Council version secures the right for the public to
download and to reuse the data for any purpose.

--
Benjamin Henrion <bh at udev.org>
http://bh.udev.org
<<<                      INSPIRE Directive will close                >>>
<<<            Public access to State-collected Geographic Data      >>>
<<<                            All over Europe                       >>>
<<<                        http://publicgeodata.org                  >>>