[geo-discuss] Texts adopted by Parliament: INSPIRE

Saul Albert saul at theps.net
Sun Jun 18 23:18:25 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 03:12:28PM -0700, Jo Walsh wrote:
> See in particular http://tinyurl.com/oh38d , "to ask what plans OS has
> for making public data available to the public". The written answer he
> received is basically untrue; OS *does* receive a sizeable state
> subsidy voted by Parliament through NIMSA. Otherwise, this is more
> "our hands our tied by our political masters" material.

Well found Jo.

How immensely frustrating. Is this 'basically' untrue, or 'actually'
untrue?

>From what we know,

"does not receive any funds voted directly by Parliament"

Sounds wrong, but I suspect it's true that the budget is not voted on in
parliament, which sounds like a very unusual microbudgetary practice
anyway.

I know how precise the wording used by parliamentarians can be, and how
infuriating a brush-off like this is..

Does anyone know what kinds of things *do* recieve 'funds voted directly
by Parliament'. Difficult territory :/

S.