[geo-discuss] Texts adopted by Parliament: INSPIRE

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Jun 19 11:48:39 UTC 2006

Good digging Jo (isn't theyworkforyou useful ...). To follow up to Saul
this is straightforward evasion using the fact that:

   i) the OS is now a trading fund (and external to govt) it doesn't
have any public data.
   ii) all government payments to the OS come via the licensing
agreement and the money for that comes out of departmental budgets
(which the Minister aren't voted by parliament it appears)

Frankly I think we shouldn't worry about the evasive answer but focus on
two main points:

i) we've got a parliamentarian (and a Conservative) who is interested
enough to ask the question (could someone contact him)

ii) The real way to change UK policy on geodata is to lobby the treasury
(and ignore the OS and everyone else). The Treasury are the ones who
have set the 'cost-recovery' policy and a) care about there the money
comes from b) the economic benefits

Regards,

Rufus