[geo-discuss] PGL and geodata licensing (was Re: [OSGeo-Board] Bylaws posted )

Daniel daniel.faivre at camptocamp.com
Wed Mar 1 12:05:11 UTC 2006

About licensing issues, I think there's for geodata places for at least
two kind of licensing models:
- a "GPL-like" one, in the purpose of reproducing the success of free
software for geodata
- a "creative commons-like", to be compliant with more-or-less
proprietary models too

Current initiatives are not intented to go into unfinishable argues, but
only to clearly encouarge collaborative work on licensing issues, and
specificities, of geographic data. (we need lawyers worldwide ! ;-)

I think we need:
- metadata (even a small text file is better than nothing !)
- data history (to keep derivative work accuracy)

So the Richard's point of view upon derivative works seems very
important to me, for further releases of PGL or PGL-howto.

Thanks,

Yours,

Daniel FAIVRE