[geo-discuss] draft of open letter to MEPs

Schuyler Erle schuyler at nocat.net
Mon Mar 13 04:49:47 UTC 2006

* On 12-Mar-2006 at  7:10AM PST, Rufus Pollock said:

> I planned to just make a few edits but ultimately due to coupling I have
> ended up doing a complete rewrite :( which I insert below.

Rufus, I like what you've written as it is "punchier" (to use Jo's
word) than what's currently on http://publicgeodata.org/Open_Letter,
but this paragraph is totally unconvincing:

> A Directive establishing a framework for sharing geographic information
> that promoted open access would enhance economic competitiveness, social
> wellbeing, and collaboration between member states. It would strenghten
> civil society, create jobs and services and improve environmental and
> resource management. [ED note: could drop this para]

Allow me to regurgitate a bit of text from the current page:

[[
  Though [INSPIRE] emphasises environmental information, the data sets
  it covers are needed for to census, electoral, transport and utilities
  purposes. Effective use of geographic information is a key to creating
  more jobs, and more economic activity in Europe.
]]

Far be it from me to remind an economist to state strongly the
economic case for what we want here... :) But it *is* the one facet of
this discussion that no one could possibly object to, like Mom or home
cooking.

SDE