[geo-discuss] Re: Open Source geo data

Daniel daniel.faivre at camptocamp.com
Wed Mar 22 10:02:37 UTC 2006

One very important point above: producing gree geodata is the first
step, before licensing issues. Nevertheless, OSGEO and others structures
may help the development of free geodata by several means: a large
communication is required in every way.

On one hand, sites like openstreetmap and geowikis initiatives are goods
assets. Such applications will grow with new kind of geographic data
(social data, cultural ones, etc.), which are not produced by
governmental mapping agencies.

On the other hand, states are not the main producers of geodata: local
authorities are bigger geodata producers. Some local authorities would
to release data freely. But they need a legal security.

The worst thing we can do is to waste our forces on licensing argues, or
either to do nothing. The best we can do may be to relay information
about licenses, to keep on wikis like the OSGEO one's as much
information about licensing we can, and to continue the job for offering
online resources on licensing issues for free geodata.

This way, with the minimum of our time, we could both help the worlwide
communities by our licensing experiences, and keep the most part of our
time to help massive-cooperative GIS and frameworks to grow up enough.

Yours,

Daniel FAIVRE