[geo-discuss] Fwd: [OSGeodata] UNOSAT - Satellite Imagery for All

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 14:20:15 UTC 2006

(sorry, I forgot to CC here)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Markus Neteler <neteler.osgeo at gmail.com>
Date: Sep 27, 2006 12:20 PM
Subject: Re: [OSGeodata] UNOSAT - Satellite Imagery for All
To: geodata at geodata.osgeo.org

Thanks, Jeroen!

One thing remains unclear:
"The person asking of data can be used for her/his commercial work,
 will need to be more specific of what kind of data is needed. Again,
 our online maps are available to the general public.
"

What is the definition of "general public" here? Say, if I give a
formal training in Indonesia on GFOSS use for tsunamis and
I get paid for that, am I out of "general public"?
Other example: I take some of their data, add more attributes etc
(value added) and sell them on DVD for 50 Euros to cover my own
expenses. That would be a commercial activity since I have to
pay taxes for it. Can I or cannot? With US public geodata I usually
can do that. The "free to use" statement suggests that I have the
liberty to do that with UNOSAT data as well unless they are not
covered by third party copyrights. But above cited statement
suggests something else.

I know that my question sounds stupid, but I really want to
understand this issue in the case of UNOSAT.

These (still somewhat unclear) statements are the reason why
we need to apply clear geodata licences. I like much the
Creative Commons way of licensing because it is easy to
understand. With geodata, it is unfortunately a bit more complicated
(e.g., a slope map is a derivative work of a DEM) but there are
good geodata license suggestions around.

Best regards & sorry for bothering
Markus