[geo-discuss] Consultation in INSPIRE metadata

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Sat Dec 8 15:47:20 UTC 2007

dear Benjamin, thankyou for reminding us all that the deadline on the
INSPIRE Metadata Implementing Rules consultation is 21st Dec, Just
over two weeks from now.

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 09:34:26PM +0100, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> http://www.ec-gis.org/inspire/
> Inspire is the geodata directive of the EU. Benjamin Henrion was very
> active here. They propose metadata scheme and request input.

Piergiorgio's last email on this subject has more detailed backgroun,
links, and a quick breakdown of the key points of interest.
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/geo-discuss/2007-October/000342.html
I have written a bit recently about the updated metadata rules
(*not* a schema/format, but a set of properties and restrictions
on those properties, binding in law) below, but this is more an opinion
piece than a detailed analysis, re-looking at the Directive itself.
http://www.terradue.com/news/_news.asp?id=22

As this is a public consultation I've made no effort to collect
contributions from the broader open source (geo)informatics community
as was done during the last round of consultation. But I hope when the
Network Services draft Rules come out (currently scheduled for
January) we can repeat the process that went on at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Response_to_INSPIRE_Metadata_Draft

I didn't know that FFII had an "open standards" activity and interest
group. Can you tell us a bit more about what it is doing to help
those of us working with open source and open data to help ourselves?
I see the outline at http://action.ffii.org/openstandards -
I don't see any contact details, or any background as to how the
members of the workgroup identified a range of standards as "fake".

I'm also surprised to see so many ISO standards clearly identified as
"open" and "inclusive", and to see the FFII offering this
justification of the ISO's pay-to-play policy: [[ But specification
itself could cost a fair amount of money (ie. 100-400Eur per copy as
in ISO because copyright and publication of the document itself).]]

??

cheers,

jo