[geo-discuss] Petition for open geo data in all the 27 member states?

Piergiorgio Cipriano pg.cipriano at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 14:24:14 UTC 2007

Benjamin, all,
do you know this NWIP by ISO/TC211 (derived from OGC GeoDRM)?
Rights expression language for geographic information - GeoREL
Scope of proposed project
To create a XML-based vocabulary to express rights for geographic
information in
order that digital licenses may be created for such internet resources,
whether
data or services. This vocabulary should be a minimal extension of the ISO
REL as
defined in ISO 21000-5.

[see http://www.isotc211.org/docreg/sok?action=docreg1 # 211n2158].
[see http://www.opengeospatial.org/standards/requests/30]

I do think national petitions should seriously take into account what
OGC+ISO are discussing.
At the moment GeoREL is a 24month planned project (so, at least it will
become ISO standard in 2010); the NWIP is going to be voted by National
Standardisation bodies to start (or not) the project for standardisation.
Deadline is April 30th.

pg

On 3/23/07, Benjamin Henrion <bh at udev.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It would be great if we could formulate new licence terms for
> governments in order to help them to free our data.
>
> This crown copyright adopted by several member states is slowing down
> the GIS industry, and we should be able to call on politicians to
> change this silly cost recovery policy.
>
> I am thinking to start a platform under publicgeodata.org in order to
> start national petitions.
>
> --
> Benjamin Henrion <bhenrion at ffii.org>
> FFII Brussels - +32-484-566109 - +32-2-4148403

Piergiorgio Cipriano
pg.cipriano at gmail.com