[geo-discuss] Fwd: INSPIRE Conference 2008

jo at frot.org jo at frot.org
Mon May 19 19:56:51 UTC 2008

dear Benjamin, all,

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 09:51:29AM +0200, Benjamin Henrion wrote:
> Application rejected.
> Can we send someone to Slovenia in June?

I didn't submit a paper this year as I knew i'd be unable to travel then.
So it depends on what you mean by "we" in this context. At last year's
EC-GIS workshop of which I guess this is the successor, there were
some open source / open data "allies" who we can hope will blog this time.
I'd love to know more about what's going on at national level in terms
of implementation.

Re. drafting papers for this kind of thing, I have had a lot more luck
presenting a free/open data case as a corollary of something else
useful and above all *cost-saving* ;) - distributing very large data
sets via bittorrent, implementing "INSPIRE compliance" simply with
free software, the "neogeography" angle used to be good for this too.

I see ESRI are funding a "building INSPIRE compliant solutions" seminar
http://www.ec-gis.org/Workshops/inspire_2008/esri_workshop.cfm at this
conference. Now *that* i would like to see and assess how
straightforward it will be to replicate.

cheers,

jo