No subject

Sun Dec 12 18:29:16 GMT 2010

research and data development) about our local region (and introspectively
mapping out how the University of Leeds collaborates/collaborated with other
organisations around the world).

I have interested David Bell, the Director of Learning and Teaching, (who is
leading the development of the module) in developing open data and linked
data and geo-data in particular. The plan is for something like 50-100
students to take the module and learn about the different types of data that
exist and then actively contribute to developing maps.

So we're still in the planning stage and I'm after some advice.

I want us to get the students and staff engaging more in creating their own
open web content and contributing more to collective efforts like
OpenStreetMap, Wikimapia and Wikipedia. I'm also keen to somehow be able to
show what we have added collectively and hopefully show our contributions
blossoming and developing year on year. I'd like us to have a lovely map of
Leeds through time that can be merged with other maps through time in a
virtual world based on reality.

We are keen to work with Ordnance Survey and our Local Authority and local
organisations (especially those developing open data).

Should we be thinking about maintaining our own wiki's be they map based or
otherwise.

I want some comparisons happening with all the data we have available
including comparisons with more open commercial data like Google/Bing/Yahoo
maps and especially from things like Google Map Maker and similar.

Do you have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/

--00504502e37fd0e54d04a1ff546c

 back to the day N and if they were merged might actually be useful again..=
.</p>
Open-geodata at lists.okfn</p>
&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:A.G.D.Turner at leeds.ac.uk">A.G.D.Turner at leeds.ac.uk</a=
I&#39;m a researcher based at the University of Leeds. I expect some of us =
have met :) Anyway, I&#39;ve just joined this list as I think it is a good =
one to perhaps field a question I have. Sorry not to have joined the list s=
ooner.<br>

I&#39;m working with a small team to develop a proposal for a new module fo=
r an undergraduate level 1 module in geography to be run at the University =
of Leeds from October. The focus and proposed title for the module is &quot=
;Leeds: From local to global&quot;. The idea is to focus some teaching and =
learning (and research and data development) about our local region (and in=
trospectively mapping out how the University of Leeds collaborates/collabor=
ated with other organisations around the world).<br>

I have interested David Bell, the Director of Learning and Teaching, (who i=
s leading the development of the module) in developing open data and linked=
 data and geo-data in particular. The plan is for something like 50-100 stu=
dents to take the module and learn about the different types of data that e=
xist and then actively contribute to developing maps.<br>

So we&#39;re still in the planning stage and I&#39;m after some advice.<br>
I want us to get the students and staff engaging more in creating their own=
 open web content and contributing more to collective efforts like OpenStre=
etMap, Wikimapia and Wikipedia. I&#39;m also keen to somehow be able to sho=
w what we have added collectively and hopefully show our contributions blos=
soming and developing year on year. I&#39;d like us to have a lovely map of=
 Leeds through time that can be merged with other maps through time in a vi=
rtual world based on reality.<br>

We are keen to work with Ordnance Survey and our Local Authority and local =
organisations (especially those developing open data).<br>
Should we be thinking about maintaining our own wiki&#39;s be they map base=
d or otherwise.<br>
I want some comparisons happening with all the data we have available inclu=
ding comparisons with more open commercial data like Google/Bing/Yahoo maps=
 and especially from things like Google Map Maker and similar.<br>
Do you have any advice?<br>
Thanks in advance,<br>
Andy<br>
http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/people/a.turner/</a><br>