[geo-discuss] Hello and request for advice w.r.t developing open geo-data as part of an undergraduate degree course geography module

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 30 12:40:18 UTC 2011

Hey Andy

OSM covers a lot more than only Streets. The overwhelming Map Features page is
just a sample" http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features

But there are certainly things that don't fit into OSM all that well. For
example, historic data, vectors digitized from paper maps into a collaborative
database, are a little tough to shoehorn in. That's because the notion of start
and end times of features isn't well grappled with by the pipeline of OSM tools,
and wouldn't be filtered out of "today's" map. However, the OSM codebase could
be adapted for this, and set up in another instance. And if the code base isn't
appropriate, say in a collaborative DEM or as you point out conceptual items,
then certainly the core concepts of a wiki map are there to be reused --- open
contributions and use through commons licenses.

Licensing would be a key part of any open geo data model. As a whole, society
needs better understanding of how data is being managed legally, in the commons
and commercially, and the real impacts that has on data use.

Cheers
Mikel

== Mikel Maron ==
+14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron