[Getthedata-discuss] An Introduction

Tony Hirst a.j.hirst at open.ac.uk
Thu Aug 4 13:17:16 UTC 2011

>An introduction: I'm from New Zealand and am heavily involved with the
>OKFN with its open government data and Open Data Manual projects. I've
>been asked to provide some coordination for the getthedata volunteers.
>
>I have a few questions:
>
> -  what issues have you seen so far?
> -  Is there anything that's not clear and you would like more guidance about?
> -  what needs to happen for getthedata to be recognised as the first
>port of call for people looking for new data?

I need to go out right now but will respond more to this later; biggest issue
at the moment is critical mass, and having enough eyeballs on or tracking new
questions to the site so that folk who know answers - or can easily find
answers - can pick up on questions.

There's also an issue with encouraging folk to post questions to the site
(seeing fresh questions and recently answered questions by more than one name
help reinfoce the idea that the site is an active one).

GEtting links deep in to relevant answers on the site  is an issue that would
help seo and raise traffic to site. If we can get people who publish data to
post faq style Q&A around use of their data to getthedata, and then link to it
from their site/pullt getthedata content into their site, that would help grow
comunity and maybe encourage a Q&A ecosytem around a data set. (Eg we are going
to try to do this in UK Discovery context)

tony

Tony Hirst
mailto:a.j.hirst at open.ac.uk
blog: http://blog.ouseful.info
twitter: @psychemedia
bio: http://blog.ouseful.info/about

Dept. of Communication & Systems,
The Open University, Walton Hall,
Milton Keynes, MK7 6AA, UK

Tel: +44 (0)19086 52789, m./SMS 07771 330 372

The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302)