[humanities-dev] Possible extensions of Textus; Looking for collaborators

Abel Corver acorver at college.harvard.edu
Wed Feb 20 17:33:48 UTC 2013

Dear Sam,

Thanks! Unfortunately I couldn't make 5pm GMT (I'm in Boston), but I'll try
to make it next week. Thanks for inviting me!

I'm currently focusing on integration with content hosted on other websites
(inspired by thepund.it, but less versatile and focused more on
linking/annotating). A screenshot:
http://abelcorver.com/files/emails/ibtp_screenshot_20022013.png

I could transform this toolbar to be a more generic Textus toolbar. The way
I imagine it is that documents could be displayed in the Textus interface
when possible (e.g. text format, pdf format), but that the toolbar would
appear when the user navigates to an external webpage

A couple of questions:

(1) Do you think we could merge the functionality I have in mind with
Textus, or would I only be building things "on top"?

(2) Right now comments are displayed in the right sidebar. Is there any
chance we could restructure the code not to need a sidebar div, but instead
to allow annotations to "float" on the right or left side of the screen?
This would enable the use of this system on external webpages and make the
system more versatile.

(3) Could the current comment system be migrated to AnnotateIt.org, which
I'm currently using? The only thing that it is lacking right now is the
ability to annotate "overlapping" pieces of text, but adding this
functionality would be a valuable addition. It already has a great plugin
system, so it should be easy to extend it to support source-to-source
linking.

(4) These questions all amount to the same idea - and please tell me what
you think: I think it would be great if the two functionalities of Textus -
storing texts & facilitating discussion - could be separated. Projects like
<http://openlibrary.org/> already hosts a lot of sources, so if we could
make the Textus interface run 'on top of' such services - e.g. with a
toolbar - which would expand the user base enormously.

Another thing that Textus provides is structured metadata about internet
resources - currently stored on the Textus server, but I imagine it could
come from other places like OpenLibrary. E.g. OpenLibrary already does this
for their own sources, but content hosted on individual webpages, say
UN.org, are not indexed. Textus could maintain a database of metadata -
title, author, etc - on all these different sources.

I think these changes retain the basis of Textus, while focusing its
qualities on the places where there are currently no other services. I'm
curious to hear what you think.

I'm really excited about the project! Can't wait to talk to you next week!

Best,
Abel.