[iRail] My 2 cents ideas to improve the API

Christophe Versieux christophe.versieux at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 09:47:29 UTC 2010

Hello all,

As you have understood, our idea is to create something huge and
international. I think we are on a really good way to achieve this goal.
Still a lot of work to provide, but the basis are there.

Pieter and Yeri made a great work by creating a functionnal API used by
120 people everyday.
The Android community is growing fast using my application:
http://img.skitch.com/20100806-rfhubxndba5b4x5j2st529wkyd.jpg : on this
graph, you can see the number of search hitting 100 per day since a few
weeks. This is the Google analytics of my application.

I can give access to anybody who want to have a look.

I have also a lot of ideas concerning improvement that we can make ( I
also give the way to get all these informations for belgian website )
and add to the API

Pieter, Yeri, I also suggest an "how to?" and can tell you that's really
easy to achieve this.
If any question, please ask, all these features are working pretty well
within my application and adding this to the API should be really easy
compared to what has already been done.
I will give you the Java code if needed.
*
1) All stops and delay of one particular train:

*Picture: http://img.skitch.com/20100806-nu7ey7i1m2axw61qcu9xx6spfs.jpg

How to?:
"http://www.railtime.be/mobile/SearchTrain.aspx?l="+lan+"&s=1&tid="+tID+"&da=D&p=2";
tID is the identification of the train: IC2008 -> use 2008

Informations:

    * Grey symbol at the left: Where is the train in real time, canceled
      stops, extra stops
    * Station Name
    * Delay

*2) Next departures in a particular station:*

Picture: http://img.skitch.com/20100806-85cgpqbrp8ni2jiqxfun37qaf.jpg

How to?:
"http://www.railtime.be/mobile/SearchStation.aspx?l="+lan+"&s=1&sid="+int_gare_id+"&tr="+int_heure+":"+int_minute+"-60"+"&da=D&p=2";
The Gare_id is provided in a list that I can give to anybody.

Informations:

    * in Blue: the gate where the train will arrive
    * Name of the destination of each train
    * ID of each train
    * Delay

*3) GPS Coordinate of one train:*

Very funny but quite useless... :-p
As we say in french: "Inutile donc indispensable"

Picture: http://img.skitch.com/20100806-erydjc45rr92jmrpikdic2mukc.jpg

How to?:
"http://www.railtime.be/website/trainpositions.aspx?l=FR&smc=1&dep=True&tn="+tID

Informations:

    * Latitude
    * Longitude

*4) GPS Coordinate of a station:*

I use this to create a GPS guidance within my application using the free
GPS software from Google!
That's a nice feature:

How to?:
http://www.railtime.be/website/trainpositions.aspx?l=FR&smc=1&stat="+int_gare_id+"&dep=True"

Informations:

    * Latitude
    * Longitude

*5) The price of a ticket:

*Not implemented yet in my application

You should do something with this adress:
http://sefora.b-rail.be/sefora/Sefora/berekenen.do?action=accessTicket&langue=2

I know that's not a good time for a student, take your time, but I hope
that these informations will be usefull for everybody!

Kind regards

Christophe