[iRail] iRail API - Actionscript 3 wrapper

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 21:33:25 UTC 2010

Hi Joris,

as this is an international project, can you speak English instead of
Dutch please?

The rest of my answers are written between the lines of your mail:

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 21:31 +0200, Joris Timmerman wrote:

> Net even het concept API uitgelegd en een voorbeeld uitgewerkt.
> Om hem dat uit te leggen heb ik een Actionscript 3 API
> (Flash/Flex/AIR) wrapper gebouwd op Pieter zijn API.
> Heb dat vanavond verder uitgewerkt.
> Volledige source/build/documentation zit in bijlage.

Cool! All wrappers are welcome of course! Do you want us to feature it?

> Verder nog iets raars ontdekt tijdens het testen, namelijk een bus
> tussen mijn train results. :)
> Feature of bug? :p
>

> DEPARTURE::
> date: Fri Aug 6 20:40:00 GMT+0200 2010
> station: TORHOUT
> duration: 25 minutes (0:25)
> delay: 1
> ARRIVAL::
> date: Fri Aug 6 20:51:00 GMT+0200 2010
> station: LICHTERVELDE
> trains:BUS 74

I think Jan Vansteenlandt answered this one correctly: if there are no
trains for a reason it will return a bus. I don't think this is a bad
feature. Do you?

> Verder nog een 3-tal (API)-feature requests:
>       * Een manier om een station te zoeken aan de hand van een input,
>         zoals Google Suggest, met een beperkt aantal mogelijke
>         resultaten, voor eventuele auto-complete functionaliteit.
>       * De stations lijst, in zo verre mogelijk, structureren in
>         zones, bvb Gent of Brussel.
>       * Mogelijkheid om bij schedulen de aangegeven tijd te markeren
>         als aankomst tijd of vertrektijd

The first feature request is as far as I know not an API problem. The
API can return you a list of all stations, if you want to implement
auto-completion you should implement that using the list of stations you
downloaded once.

What's the point of structuring the XML file in zones? Not sorting them
alphabetically will not allow someone to use binary search, which will
slow down the processing on the mobile device.

Your third feature request is one that I will implement asap. You can
expect api.irail.be to contain this feature Monday.

Thanks for your input!

Pieter