[iRail] iRail API - Actionscript 3 wrapper

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 23:12:25 UTC 2010

> I explained the concept of an API to someone and used the iRail API as
> an example.
> I build a wrapper to explain how things work, and tonight I worked
> that example out to a full wrapper of Pieter's API.
> (wrappers lower the the threshold for developers to use the API, I've
> noticed this myself, especially in the Flash community, as an author
> of a wrapper for Google's webservices, because there are a lot of
> people with not much experience or not much time, and when offered a
> wrapper, they're more eager to dig in).
> The full source is (was) included as an attachment.

Thanks, we will feature these wrappers on our website soon. Are you
willing to keep it up to date?

> On testing, I stumbled on something piculiar, one of the suggested
> routes was a bus.
> Feature or bug?
Feature

> Further I have a few (API-)feature requests
>       * A way to find a station by an input, such as Google Suggest
>         with a few limited results, for auto-completion for example.
>         (indeed this can be done with the full list, but I was
>         suggesting this to avoid traffic to download the full list)

You should only download the entire list once, or include it in the
application. When stations are added however, you might want to update
this list. That's why this API function exists.

>       * A stationslist ordered hierarchally, structered by zone (with
>         a zone I mean a set of stations in one city). -> drop that,
>         Pieter got a very good point

Thanks ;-)

>       * Possibllity to pass on to the API if the given date & time is
>         arrival or departure time.

Fixed and commited:
http://github.com/Tuinslak/iRail/commit/5f462523119d8022083b4e710844f743ed99efd3

should be on the http://dev.irail.be/api pretty soon now...

>       * ADDED: Possibllity to pass on the means of travel in the API,
>         (for example: trains only, trains and busses, ...) (I would
>         suggest to use an index, for example: -1 is all, 0 is only
>         trains,...)

I don't like this idea. I think buses should be included if necessary
(as is default). What do others think of this idea?

Pieter