[iRail] Collaborative Station lists

flo orangeman at teleportr.org
Thu Nov 11 16:59:05 UTC 2010

this seems like a great idea and something the world(=we) really
needs! as only a collaborative community effort can maintain such a
dataset long term.
http://openstreetmap.org sounds like a good place to start as does
http://www.gtfs-data-exchange.com/agencies
iirc there is also material in other formats like transXchange
available e.g for UK
http://data.london.gov.uk/datastore/package/tfl-timetable-listings
Does anyone know (dutch) http://openov.nl ? what is this about?

# unique names
I like Pieter's proposal in the wiki. For autocompletion every station
is only needed once per unique name. This is the same approach we used
with the teleportr osm-import. There are only very rare cases where
e.g. subway and lightrail of one station named "Warschauer Straße" is
really far away.
http://www.öpnvkarte.de/?zoom=17&lat=52.50571&lon=13.45126&layers=B
How about storing two if the distance is grater than say 100m? just to
be able to draw them correctly on a map.

# ids
do you think it makes sense to keep the originating osm-id as a back
reference to check for later updates? if yes which osm-id? if there
are many parts of a bigger station
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Oxomoa/Public_transport_schema
Having hafas-ids would really come in handy too when talking to apis.
Andreas from Öffi for example has the german hafas-ids AFAIK.

# licensing
does anyone know what happens if we combine data from different
sources and potententially different licenses? Osm is currently
CC-BY-SA but in the process of changing to ODbL
http://www.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/About_The_License_Change How
are the available gtfs files licensed? What happens if we throw
scraped data in? and complete everything manually with our own
contributions?

# transiki.org
do you thing it makes sense to work together somehow?

flo
@teleporter