[iRail] GentM && Apps For Ghent - Message to the iRail NPO

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 16:34:38 UTC 2011

Dear iRail people,

It has been a while since I wrote to the list and some may be thinking
that I'm slacking off due to my thesis and the examinations coming up.
Nothing is more false however!

1. Gent M
----------

http://gentm.be

Consider this the next place to be as a member of the iRail NPO. In a
pop-up bar in the Sint Pietersnieuwstraat 13 in Ghent there are sessions
about innovation and creativity each Tuesday at 8pm. This Tuesday it
will be about «open data» and I will talk for 10 minutes (after Bart
Rosseau from City Ghent and Dimitri from Ghent Web Valley) about iRail.
I will very shortly tell our history (yes... again... I will keep it
short, I promise) and tell what we're about today. Afterwards I will
announce Apps For Ghent and I hope to evoke a discussion about the event
as such and open data. I have heard some iRailers and they will be
represented, it would be cool to have the Ghent-gang as well (Bart, Jan,
Tim, Hannes...) and of course if you feel like doing the trip if you're
from far you're more than welcome!

2. Apps For Ghent
------------------

http://appsforghent.be

Apps for Ghent is organized by me as part of my thesis and more
importantly by people from Stad Gent, IBBT, Ghent Web Valley, Peter
Dedecker, Zeus... They will be at Gent M as well so feel free to talk to
them! I want the iRail NPO to have a role as well, but then of course,
we need you to help! (~14th of May probably, will be announced Tuesday)

What do we(appsforghent) need from us (iRail):
0. Server and wordpress hosted. (done)
1. A widget for the contact page of the wordpress site appsforghent.be -
It has to show show a form or detect your location (html5) and show the
best connection to Gent with the iRail API
(http://github.com/iRail/newline might be a nice start)
2. In the afternoon we will do a hackaton. This means different groups
from different organisations will be coding against each other using
data that has something to do with Ghent. The coolest application will
get a nice price for its organisation. This is a good way to finally get
us some financial momentum because... as we all know... we have the
finest coders of Ghent. (Other coding groups may be: In the pocket,
hackerspace Ghent, IBBT, Zeus...)
3. Is there someone who's willing to create a nice logo for Apps for
Ghent?

If anyone wants to do one of these three things that will be greatly
appreciated. Of course your name will be on the "apps for ghent is made
possible by..." list ;)

Thank you in advance,

Pieter

--