[iRail] Caching

Yeri Tiete yeri at tiete.be
Tue Mar 15 21:02:43 UTC 2011

Dear List,

We have successfully implemented caching on our API.

This means that all requests to api.iRail.be will be cached for one minute.

We have done this to lower the amount of requests to our data providers, especially due to the high amount of requests generated by our liveboard.

What does this mean for you...

	> As developer?

Nothing.

	> As a user?

If it's cached, it will be a zillion times faster. True story.
If it's uncached it will be roughly the same (although, theoretically, it would be a fraction of a second slower).

	> As a stats addict?

Public stats (http://api.irail.be/stats/general.php) are incorrect now. There is no logging to MySQL if the result has already been cached. So this page only displays uncached API calls (and thus calls forwarded to our data providers).

We'll release public stats (in the form of a similar graph) in the near future, generated from nginx request logs, to compensate for this.

If, for some reason, you do not want to use the proxied API, you can send requests to live.api.irail.be. But please, only if it's really needed.

Trac ticket details @ http://project.irail.be/ticket/85 / http://project.irail.be/attachment/ticket/85/cache.png

Good evening!

--
Kind regards,