[iRail] The DataTank - was Re: yahoo pipes

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 10:46:03 UTC 2011

Hi Christophe and Louis,

As you may have heard we're addressing this problem as well with a
project within the project The DataTank
(http://github.com/iRail/The-DataTank). You can quickly write your own
resource on this system. Sometimes 5 lines of code will do to write a
full bloated RESTful webservice.

It's currently in alpha. This means documentation is not 100% yet and
there are still some minor issues with it. It should however be easy to
check out the examples (http://github.com/iRail/The-DataTank-examples)
and create your own custom resource in no time.

I understand that the effort needed to use this instead of yahoo pipes
or something similar is at this moment a little higher than you would
personally want. We (Jan Vansteenlandt, Miel Vander Sande, Lieven
Janssen, Quentin Kaiser and I) are working very hard to make this
project the easiest 3 second API ever. Since this is an iRail product
however, I thought you might try to use this.

Kind regards,

Pieter

On 09/29/2011 11:03 AM, Louis de Decker wrote:
> Hey Christophe,
> I played around with yahoo pipes yesterday, it seems to work (most of
> the time). I haven't mastered the *filters* very well for the moment ...
> I also found a small php which helps a lot to parse/scrape data from a
> page : http://simplehtmldom.sourceforge.net/ > It's pretty easy to
> use, I managed to get good results very quickly.
>
> Louis
>
> 2011/9/29 Christophe Versieux <christophe.versieux at gmail.com
> <mailto:christophe.versieux at gmail.com>>
>
>     Louis,
>
>     This is a great link, I already tried it a few years ago and
>     nearly forgotted it!
>     The service seem currently down, creating a pipe with an url seem
>     to fail everytime.
>
>     Also, if people want an easier alternative (also powered by Yahoo)
>     Dapper seem also very handy and usefull: http://open.dapper.net/
>     I just gave a try and seems to work pretty well!
>
>     Christophe
>

>     On 28/09/2011 20:49, Louis de Decker wrote:
>
>         Hey List,
>
>         A colleague just made me discover yahoo pipes :
>         http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/
>         it's a pretty easy tool to use which lets you scrape/get all
>         kinds of info from various sources and export them in any
>         useful format.
>         Pretty handy if you want to make mashups custom api's without
>         worrying about how to scrape everything.
>         sceencast here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3tS_DkmbVA
>
>         enjoy!
>         Louis

iRail vzw/asbl