[iRail] The Hub - an idea

Pieter Colpaert pieter at iRail.be
Sun Aug 12 21:11:34 UTC 2012

Hi Sander,

On 08/12/2012 10:54 PM, Sander Van der Maelen wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Pieter: great idea. Gent needs more affordable and low-brow co-working
> spaces, and it sounds as if you could make it happen :)

Aw. I don't want to call it a co-working space. It's a hub. A hub is
where people come together for a while to work and cross pollinate.

As we're working together you could indeed call it a co-workingspace,
but you could call it a coffee bar as well as you will be able to have
coffee there. Or you will be able to call it a hackerspace as people
will change the use of already existing things, or you can call it a lab
as we're doing professional experiments. Just stick with "hub" - a place
where it all comes together for a moment ;)

 I'm not entirely
> sure if it needs to be in the city centre (plenty of cool spots in
> Dampoort, Ledeberg, Brugse Poort, etc), but a good connection is
> definitely a must.

I am. The place I have in mind is either close to Gent Sint Pieters or
close to Tram 1. I want public transport to be as good as possible so
iRail members from all over Belgium can get there by train.

> Will you be managing the location yourself, or will it be part of
> something 'bigger'? Maybe it's worthwile to discuss possible joint
> ventures with the Hackerspace Gent?

It will be part of something bigger. We might work together with
Hackerspace Ghent but if you paid attention during iSoc12 you know we
have cooler partners ;)

Kind regards,

Pieter