[kforge-dev] Delete = Hibernate or Purge for Domain Objects

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Mon Sep 19 12:41:14 UTC 2005

Previous discussion off-list has tended to the view that we should
hibernate most things (e.g. users, projects, services, memberships etc)
rather than purging them when a delete is requested from a user interface

We can do this several ways:
   1. split delete into purge and hibernate
   2. make delete = hibernate and add a purge command
   3. have no purge, just hibernate

It important to define these semantics so that plugins know what to do
on particular events. The obvious idea would be that hibernate would
leave all service instance date intact while purge would result in its
removal.

My preference is for option 2 but eager to hear comments.

Since all of these changes would result in the addition of actions to
the Domain Model as perhaps the change of plugin interface we should
decide on this as soon as possible.

Regards,

Rufus