[kforge-dev] random q re python templating systems

Nick Stenning nickstenning+kfdev at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 19:27:12 UTC 2005

Jo,

The main advantages of Clearsilver are its language neutrality
(although bindings for lesser known languages can be a bit dodgy ..)
and the fact that it retains an awful lot of power without drawing on
a full blown language - hopefully preventing sitebuilders from putting
too much programming logic in templates.

Clearsilver also has a pretty friendly data format (HDF) that's pretty
easy/foolproof to write in. Of course, that presupposes you've already
got templates out of the way =)

In all honesty, my personal choice of templating language for a
self-contained project that didn't really need to be language neutral
would be something like Cheetah for Python or Erb/Eruby for Ruby.
Something that requires a little bit of self-restraint when writing
templates but that has a good deal of power behind it.

Hope to have provided at least some useful insight,
Regards,
Nick