[kforge-dev] Iteration 3 finished

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Apr 7 09:07:47 UTC 2006

Yesterday marked the ended of the 3rd iteration of this year.

This iteration has seen a lot of work by John to create a way to
administer KForge (that is edit all domain object instances) from a web
interface. Effort has been made to make the administration system
'generic', that is to work reflectively off the domain model so that as
you create (or delete) a new domain object class the interface updates
automatically. This will be particularly valuable as we reuse parts of
kforge in other projects (more about this in a follow up email).

This work on the admin interface has in turn resulted in a major
refactoring and improvement of the views code. John can provide more
details of this -- and I plan to send a follow up email summarizing the
design -- but the views code is now looking a lot cleaner (just as the
dom code took several passes to get it as slick it is now the views code
  will take a couple of iterations to get it to exactly where we want it
to be).

Some work on views still remains to be done over the next couple of
weeks, especially on keyed lists (e.g. the list of services associated
with a given project). However once that is done we will be have a much
improved system with a major new feature ready to be packaged up as 0.11.

In the meantime I've been working on seperating installation of KForge
code and creation of a KForge instance/environment. I've also started
related work on improving and consolidating the command line
administration scripts. More work needs to be done over the next week
but you can already do:

{{{
$ sudo python setup.py install  # install centrally
$ kforge-admin <base> initenv  # create a KForge instance at <base>
$ kforge-admin <base-test> initenv # create instance at <base-test>
}}}

Finally latest iteration planning is at:

   http://www.okfn.org/kforge/wiki/KforgeRoadmap

and we are now starting to actively used the trac tickets:

   http://project.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac

(up until now the wiki has been enough)

Regards,

Rufus