[kforge-dev] environments, applications, services?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Apr 13 13:09:12 UTC 2006

Wow, and I thought you were just going to write a few sentences. I think
your points are all excellent. My one concern is that the term Service
in ASP is used more to denote the whole item. For example we might talk
about providing the knowledgeforge service based on the KForge software
but this might involve having several 'instances' of KForge installed
(testing, sandbox, 2 to use for a stepped upgrade process).

Options seems to be:

   * environment: trac uses this but overloads use of environment in
other circumstances (e.g. shell)
     * John: -1
     * Rufus: 0
   * instance:
     * ??
   * service: related to ASP. potential confusion between meaning of
'KForge service' (service [domain object] in a KForge service or just
the KForge service)
     * John: +1
     * Rufus: -0.5

Currently we are using 'environment'. Once a decision is made this can
be changed.

~rufus