[kforge-dev] failing tests

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net
Wed Aug 8 09:57:52 UTC 2007

Just to say that with Matthew Brett's trial KForge deployment yesterday,
two of the tests in the kforge.test.core test suite failed.

One was a failure to call 'apachectl'. Another was a failure to send
email. I don't have the details, but I'm sure it will repeat when we
reinstall with today's release. I'll get the details then so we can sort
it out.

Both calling apachectl and sending email are strange things for unit
tests to do.

I'm sure you agree that we must maintain the distinction between
"developer tests" which are "sub-cutaneous" and run fairly independently
of the operating system environment and the configuration of third party
applications (in this case whether or not you have apachectl and email),
and "customer test" a.k.a. "black box" tests which invoke the
application through it's external interface and therefore very much rely
on configuration of web servers, email servers, and whatever else needs
to be tested for acceptance (for general public release, in this case).

In the case of the KForge test suite, we also distinguish between tests
on the core system, and tests on plugins (assumed to be the core plugins
developed by the KForge project, not any third party plugins).

But I feel these two distinctions are becoming lost. Can I propose we
restore the original conception, so that we have:

kforge-test kforge.test.all.developer (all unit tests)
kforge-test kforge.test.all.customer (all acceptance tests)

kforge-test kforge.test.core.developer (kforge unit tests)
kforge-test kforge.test.core.customer (kforge acceptance tests)
kforge-test kforge.test.plugins.developer (plugin unit tests)
kforge-test kforge.test.plugins.customer (plugin acceptance tests)

and not too much else?

The script kforge-test could then either default to running the suite
kforge.test.core.developer or kforge.test.all.developer depending on
whether or not the plugins are considered to be inside the system boundary.

We might also wish to distinguish between "core plugins" which are
really part of the core and "non-core plugins" and which shouldn't be
involved in testing the core. But I would hope not.

But we must try to maintain the distinction between unit tests and
blackbox tests.

Best wishes,

John.

--