[kforge-user] Install problem on Ubuntu Server 7.04 AMD 64 bit

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Oct 24 09:35:44 UTC 2007

Tom Fillmore wrote:
> Hi, Rufus -
>
> Thanks for the reply, I did what you suggested, attached is a file that
> shows the error when I 'import kforge.soleInstance'.
> At first glance it almost looks like there is a typo in the kforge
> source code, but that seems a bit of a longshot, as surely someone else
> would have experienced it by now....
>
> Thoughts?

Looking at the stack trace (included below) it is clear something is
going wrong when loading the config variables from file
(setConfigWordsFromFile). Note the final error message:

"'%%' must be followed by '%%' or '(', found: %r" % (rest,))
InterpolationSyntaxError: '%' must be followed by '%' or '(', found:
'%^$)_D'

So the error is caused by the bad string: %^$)_D and seems to relate to
use of % (python uses % when doing string interpolation ...). Looking
back at your config file and grepping through I find:

secret_key = whyareyoulookinghere(((#&%^$)_D

So I think this is the problem. I'd suggest changing this to something
purely alphanumeric and see if the problem goes away. (What this
suggests from a dev perspective is that we should try and provide more
detailed errors on the command line when something goes wrong and/or do
verification on the config variable values -- a long-standing todo!).

Finally I'd note that when looking through your config file I also
noticed there is a '$' sign at the end of your plugin_data_dir variable
value -- is this intentional?

~rufus

## Stack Trace

   File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/dm/dictionary.py", line 23, in
__init__
     self.setConfigWordsFromFile()
   File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/dm/dictionary.py", line 88, in
setConfigWordsFromFile
     self[configWord] = self.configFileReader[configWord]
   File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/dm/config.py", line 11, in __getitem__
     return self.get(sectionName, valueName)
   File "ConfigParser.py", line 525, in get
     return self._interpolate(section, option, value, d)
   File "ConfigParser.py", line 593, in _interpolate
     self._interpolate_some(option, L, rawval, section, vars, 1)
   File "ConfigParser.py", line 634, in _interpolate_some