[kforge-user] Authentication not working

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Sep 12 11:59:39 UTC 2007

Gunnar Johansson wrote:

> 10 sep 2007 kl. 20.02 skrev Rufus Pollock:
>
>> John Bywater wrote:
[snip]
>> Note that you should be able to do all of this from the admin
>> interface at:
>>
>> http://{your.kforge.site}/admin/model/
>
> Ahh, there it is - I was only aware of http://{kforge}/admin/

Yes, as John mentioned a change to url.py led to a small bug which means
/admin/model works but /admin/ does not. This is easily fixed and should
be in trunk very soon.

[snip]
> Ok, during my second try it worked fine and the www directory was
> created, although I get a "Forbidden - permission denied" when trying to
> enter {your.kforge.domain}/{project-name}
>
> Can this be connected to the problem I'm having when trying to access a
> service without being logged in through the kforge interface first? To
> repeat, if I try to access a trac service without logging in through
> kforge first I get a "Forbidden" message while I would expect to get a
> user/password prompt.  Is there some overlying apache config I'm not
> aware of?

I know you have now resolved this issue (and found that it relates to
your apache configuration). However your question about trying to access
the trac service brings up an important point which I am not sure is
adequately documented. In KForge 0.12 if you tried to access a service
and had insufficient permissions you would be:

1. (if not logged in) redirected to the log in page.
2. (if logged in) redirected to a KForge access denied page.

Unfortunately due to the way mod-python works (specifically the
mod-python access handlers) it was discovered this approach led to a
subtle bug with POSTs were attempted (detailed in [1] and in docstring
for handlers/projecthost.py). The result is that in KForge 0.13 we have
had to fall back to a simple DENY/UNAUTHORISED response when you try to
visit a service for which you do not have sufficient access permissions
rather than redirecting you. For those interested in how to best fix
this we are currently discussing how best to improve on this situation
on the kforge-dev list.

~rufus

[1]: http://www.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/ticket/38