[knowledgeforge-user] KnowledgeForge service up and running again

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Aug 1 10:30:35 UTC 2007

The server upgrade and the upgrade of the KForge software from 0.12 to
0.13 is now complete and the system appears to be fully working again.
However we did run into several issues a couple of which we have not yet
been able to fully resolve:

1. The debian etch combination of trac (0.10.3), modpython (3.2.10) and
apache (2.2) seems to result in some rather weird behaviour by trac with
some parts of the trac system intermittently failing to load.

This is a well-known 'trac' problem which seems to arise from threading
issues between modpython, trac and subversion. We have applied some of
the suggested patches but as yet this has not fully resolved the issue.
We are continuing to work on this and hope to have this sorted soon. In
the mean time please be aware that trac may not functioning entirely as
it should.

2. There appear to be some problems with certain subversion clients
accessing svn repositories over ssl. In particular on mac osx I have
been experiencing errors of the form:

svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/kforge/svn/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: PROPFIND of '/kforge/svn/!svn/vcc/default': SSL negotiation failed:
SSL error: decryption failed or bad record mac
(https://project.knowledgeforge.net)

It has been established that this problem does *not* occur on ubuntu
edgy and standard debian machines. Searching on the net leads us to
believe this may be caused by incompatibilities between the upgraded
openssl library on the server (debian etch). If you experience problems
please report them here.

Finally, if you experience any other problems in using the
KnowledgeForge service please let me know so that we can try fix them.

Regards,

Rufus