[knowledgeforge-user] problems with long svn updates from ukparse

Mark Longair mark-knowledgeforge at longair.net
Sun Oct 19 19:18:21 UTC 2008

I wonder if someone could help with the problems I've been
having with ukparse:

For all the time I've been using the ukparse SVN repository I've
had lots of problems with long svn updates.  For example, when I
was using it heavily earlier this year (on a very reliable
network connection on JANET) I would frequently get errors like
this:

  [.. lots of output ...]
  A    svn/trunk/parldata/cmpages/lordspages/daylord2007-06-20b.html
  svn: REPORT request failed on '/ukparse/svn/!svn/vcc/default'
  svn: REPORT of '/ukparse/svn/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read chunk size: connection was closed by server. (http://knowledgeforge.net)

(That was on a new checkout, although I would frequently see it
on updates as well.)

I tried again today (over ADSL rather than on JANET) to check
out the whole repository and got something similar - after
succesfully checking out some small percentage of the files the
output paused and eventually I got an error indicating that the
connection had timed out.  I got the same error (after fetching
some more files) on updating again:

  [.. lots of output ..]
  A    parldata/cmpages/wrans/answers2001-12-12.html
  A    parldata/cmpages/wrans/answers2005-03-01.html
  A    parldata/cmpages/wrans/answers2000-07-20a.html
  A    parldata/cmpages/wrans/answers2002-07-10.html
  [.. long pause ..]
  svn: REPORT request failed on '/ukparse/svn/!svn/vcc/default'
  svn: REPORT of '/ukparse/svn/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read chunk size: connection timed out. (http://knowledgeforge.net)

This is particularly frustrating because scripts that
automatically update from ukparse on an infrequent basis never
work reliably for me.

Is there some timeout set on the server that might be causing
these problems?  I'd be grateful for any help with this.

regards,
mark