[knowledgeforge-user] maintenance work

Mark Longair mark-knowledgeforge at mythic-beasts.com
Sun May 3 12:13:11 UTC 2009

Rufus,

Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:

> 2009/4/20 Mark Longair <mark-knowledgeforge at mythic-beasts.com>:
[..]
>> Rufus, John,
>>
>> I see that anonymous rsync doesn't seem to work at the moment -
>> did that get broken in the upgrade possibly?
>>
>>  $ rsync knowledgeforge.net::knowledgeforge/
>
> Fixed now. Was due to a breakage of the backup as a result of the
> upgrade which is now fixed.

Thank you for fixing that.

[..]
>> Unfortunately, I still find that the connection is lost during
>> "git svn" updates, sometimes after it has been running for for
>> half an hour, sometimes up to an hour.  What are Apache's
>> timeout and keepalive timeout settings set to?
>
> KeepAlive On
> Timeout 300
> MaxKeepAliveRequests 500
> KeepAliveTimeout 5

Hm.  I suppose that KeepAliveTimeout could be a bit higher, but
it seems to me that it's a bit unlikely to be the problem given
the symptoms I'm seeing - I've noticed that when I get a
connection reset it becomes impossible to connect to port 80 of
project.knowledgeforge.net for a couple of minutes afterwards,
either from JANET or from my home ADSL connection.

So that you have a time point to find in the logs when this
definitely happened, I set "git svn clone --stdlayout
http://knowledgeforge.net/ukparse/svn/" going earlier from the
client 129.215.197.50 and got the connection reset by peer error [1]
at:

  Sun May  3 12:57:40 BST 2009

I could connect to port 80 again at 13:01, but there were a
couple of minutes before that wwhere every connection attempt
from each network I tried failed.

I hope this is of some help in tracking down the problem.

many thanks,
mark

[1] RA layer request failed: REPORT of '/ukparse/svn/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read status line: Connection reset by peer (http://knowledgeforge.net) at /usr/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 4086