[public-lod2] 2nd International DBpedia Community Meeting

Dimitris Kontokostas kontokostas at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Tue Jul 15 06:12:59 UTC 2014

Dear Maria,

You can find recordings from our last meeting in the DBpedia's channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfdCKxcn5lzKowTiNCxZ71w
We will try to do the same for this meeting as well but I don;t think we'll
manage to support streaming

If you are interested to give a remote presentation please submit your idea
and our committee will decide.

Best,
Dimitris

On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Maria Hallo <mhallo1700 at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> proposals include (but not limited to) presentation, posters, demos,
>> lightning talks and session suggestions.
>>
>> * Submission Upload Form: http://goo.gl/LSwt4P
>> * Deadline for contributions:  August 18, 2014
>>
>> ==== About DBpedia ====
>> Source: http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/system/files/swj499.pdf
>> The DBpedia community project extracts structured, multilingual knowledge
>> from Wikipedia and makes it freely available using Semantic Web and Linked
>> Data standards. The extracted knowledge, comprising more than 1.8 billion
>> facts, is structured according to an ontology maintained by the community.
>> The knowledge is obtained from different Wikipedia language editions, thus
>> covering more than 100 languages, and mapped to the community ontology. The
>> resulting data sets are linked to more than 30 other data sets in the
>> Linked Open Data (LOD) cloud. The DBpedia project was started in 2006 and
>> has meanwhile attracted large interest in research and practice. Being a
>> central part of the LOD cloud, it serves as a connection hub for other data
>> sets. For the research community, DBpedia provides a testbed serving real
>> world data spanning many domains and languages. Due to the continuous
>> growth of Wikipedia, DBpedia also provides an increasing added value for
>> data acquisition, re-use and integration tasks within organisations. In
>> this system report, we give an overview over the DBpedia community project,
>> including its architecture, technical implementation, maintenance,
>> internationalisation, usage statistics and showcase some popular DBpedia
>> applications.
>>
>> Travel Grants / Sponsorship
>> =================
>> Some of the DBpedia developers work on DBpedia in their free-time and
>> will not have institutional funding to come to the meeting. Therefore, we
>> are still looking for sponsors for travel grants (as well as coffee and
>> food for the sessions). If you are interested to sponsor this meeting,
>> please fill out this form to request more information:
>> http://goo.gl/LSwt4P
>>
>> Given we can acquire a sponsor, participants can apply for a travel grant
>> here: http://goo.gl/LSwt4P  or email Adrian.
>> These grants will be awarded depending on the standing in the community
>> and community activity, e.g. Google Summer of Code participation or Git
>> Commits to DBpedia framework, activity on the mailing lists, etc.
>>
>> We hope to see you all in Leipzig:
>> * Adrian Paschke (DBpedia German Chapter & FU Berlin)
>> * Harald Sack (DBpedia German Chapter & HPI Potsdam)
>> * Sebastian Hellmann (DBpedia Association & AKSW Leipzig)
>> * Heiko Ehrig (Neofonie)
>> * Dimitris Kontokostas (DBpedia Association & AKSW Leipzig)
>> * Magnus Knuth (DBpedia German Chapter & HPI Potsdam)
>> * Alexandru Tudor (DBpedia German Chapter & FU Berlin)
>>

>> --
>> Dimitris Kontokostas
>> Department of Computer Science, University of Leipzig

Dimitris Kontokostas