[MyData & Open Data] Specific activities on personal data and privacy issues

Sally Deffor sally.deffor at okfn.org
Wed Jul 2 16:57:53 UTC 2014

Hi all,
So a few weeks ago, we tried to get a sense of what kinds of activities
might be of interest to members on this list (through Laura's enquiry to
the list). Additionally, we scoped for these issues through the agenda
hacking and group discussion sessions at the workshop, and from the two
processes, we have come up with the following:

1. Re licensing personal data-  specifically research + case studies on why
and how, guidelines on how to

2.  Openness of privacy policies- establishing common and simple standards

3. Classifying public vrs private datasets- specifically  demarcating which
type of data should go under which group (providing caveats for exceptions)

4. Providing evidence of the specific costs/benefits of personal data (both
individual and societal)- study report

5. Outlining the current impediments to privacy protection (linking data,
re-identification etc)-  research paper or opinion paper?

6.  considerations for open (info, knowledge, data)-  clear outline of
issues are covered- ethics, ownership and access of publicly funded vrs
privately funded especially with research data

Do let me know if these are in fact what you were thinking of undertaking
by way of filling the gap, and if you are interested in working on any of
these with us, or in individual capacities?

It would be great if we could fine-tune these further as it is a bit
unclear what is in fact needed in each area.

Thanks!

--

*Sally DefforOpen Data & Privacy Project Coordinator | skype:deffor.selase
| @SDeffor | +44 (0)7774 734206 The **Open Knowledge Foundation*
<http://okfn.org/>

*Empowering through Open Knowledge**http://www.okfn.org*
<http://www.okfn.org/>* | **@okfn* <https://twitter.com/OKFN>* | **OKF on
Facebook* <http://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>* | **Blog*
<http://blog.okfn.org/>* | **Newsletter <http://okfn.org/?s=Newsletter>*

*Have you bought your tickets <http://2014.okfestival.org/tickets/> to
OKFestival yet? Join us in Berlin in July (15-17)!*
*See you at OKFestival <http://2014.okfestival.org/> 15-17 July 2014*