[MyData & Open Data] Fwd: Invitation to research about privacy and surveillance in the age of Edward Snowden

Sally Deffor sally.deffor at okfn.org
Mon Sep 1 13:50:07 UTC 2014

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christian Fuchs <christianfuchswmin at gmail.com>
Date: 1 September 2014 14:38
Subject: Invitation to research about privacy and surveillance in the age
of Edward Snowden
To: HDI at jiscmail.ac.uk

 Dear HDI experts,

This message may be of inerest to those who are in and around London.

   The University of Westminster is currently involved in the European
Union research project PACT (see http://www.projectpact.eu) that studies
privacy and security in Europe. Since Edward Snowden’s revelations, there
have been a lot of discussions about privacy and surveillance in Europe.

Given all the discussions about privacy and surveillance, ICT experts are
often asked what can best be done to guarantee privacy and data protection
for users. They are confronted with many questions about data use by their
clients, customers, friends, users, and the public.

PACT has developed a new method that makes it easier to answer which
advantages and disadvantages information technologies pose in respect to
personal data, privacy, and surveillance.

We invite ICT experts to participate in a test and assessment of this new
method in the form of a focus group-discussion and we would be very happy
to have some HDI experts participating.

There are two available dates when the tests of the new privacy assessment
methodology takes place in the form of a focus group discussion:

Monday, September 8, 2014: 13:00-15:30
Tuesday, September 9, 2014: 13:00-15:30
Location: Central London

If you are interested to join on one of these two dates, then please get in
touch with me.

Further information is also available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhmjb0jhrmalmvh/Information%20Sheet.pdf?dl=0

If this sounds interesting, then I’d be happy to hear back from you.

Best,
Christian Fuchs

--
Christian Fuchs
Professor of Social Media
christianfuchswmin at gmail.com
+44 (0) 20 7911 5000 ext. 67380

--

*Sally DefforOpen Data & Privacy Project Coordinator | skype:deffor.selase
<http://okfn.org/>

*Empowering through Open Knowledge**http://www.okfn.org*
<http://www.okfn.org/>* | **@okfn* <https://twitter.com/OKFN>* | **OKF on
Facebook* <http://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork>* | **Blog*