[MyData & Open Data] Advice on EU Open Data project

Erik Josefsson erik.hjalmar.josefsson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 14:46:40 UTC 2015

Hi Friedrich,

Before setting up EPFSUG, we had a meetings with European Parliament
Data Protection Officer in Luxembourg.

We wanted to know how to manage data protection and privacy liability
before such liability could be used to shut us down.

At the time, IIRC we (also*) used Hetzner Online AG, but were hoping the
EP would host our services which I guess is why the questions we had
were kindly and proactively considered and not simply dismissed.

I think you should start a similar dialogue, with the perspective that
the information you mine is as relevant for the EP to display to the
public, or even host, as any of the EP swag you can buy at Parlamentarium.

Maybe find the Director Generals of DG IPOL and DG EXPO and start a
discussion on a publicly archived mailinglist? Last year they said an
"EP Data Warehouse" was a priority (put the European Parliament Data
Protection Officer in cc):

http://erikjosefsson.eu/sites/default/files/dg-ipol-and-dg-expo-priorities-20140516.pdf

They should reasonably have similar problems. At least they should have
analysed them.

Here's a template on how to start such a "cold call":

https://www.dfri.se/wiki/ep-acta-docs/

Another path of action is of course the "Open Letter" approach, but you
already know that (as a signatory yourself):

http://europarl.me/open+letter+for+open+data+Welle

Good luck!

//Erik

*) http://www.tcpiputils.com/browse/ip-address/176.9.82.140