[MyData & Open Data] Advice on EU Open Data project

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Wed Jan 7 11:48:00 UTC 2015

Hi

Sorry for late arrival, just got back from hols.

This project looks great.

I think that from a data protection pov it is important to understand what your site adds to the “profiles”  of individuals presented in the original register. This would determine to what extent you are generating new information about the person - even by mashing up sources - and thus your obligations to make sure that this new information is accurate, relevant, etc.

In general, keeping the information up to date should be a requirement for this kind of project, but retaining historical data clearly labelled as such should not be a problem, I believe. I agree with Stef that a resourced organisation may be better placed to handle this kind of project and fight back vexatious requests for removals.

From a 5 minute check, I cannot see pseudonymous data working here. The files for individuals do not appear to contain a lot of information besides the name, employment and group membership.

Happy to continue this conversation with interested group.

Javier