[MyData & Open Data] Guidelines for privacy and open data

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Tue Jul 14 12:45:48 UTC 2015

Hi Daniel

I’m not sure that all of that exists in one place, guidance bringing together process and technical advice and applicable across jurisdictions.  The ODI certificates are probably as close as it gets in terms of incorporating privacy in the process of opening data, but they would need extra support to be solid enough. There are guides on anonymisation, and you could apply privacy by design principles to the process.

You would also need guidance on when it would be appropriate to release personal information, and what kind of measures you would take to protect it (e.g. minimisation, no machine readable) while delivering the main benefits of disclosure (e.g. accountability on a specific area.). But this should be converted into a properly thought out policy.

Best, Javier