[MyData & Open Data] [WG-InfoSharing] Consent Propoganda & SXSW Panel on Generating Real Consent

Phil Booth phil at einsteinsattic.com
Wed Sep 2 11:33:47 UTC 2015

I'd be more shocked, Mark, except that the outfit behind this
(http://data-now.eu/about) is a 'front' for - amongst others - Google's,
eBay's & Yahoo's lobbying on EU DPR. The video is however one of the most
biased, and untruthful, pieces of anti-consent propaganda I've ever seen.
Great spot!

I was happy to Register to vote for your Panel, but major SXSW fail on
requiring me to then sign in with another login (Disqus, Facebook, etc.) to
leave a comment. Maybe you could educate your host as a first step that this
is deeply annoying and not OK?

Phil

P.S. Text of comment I would have left:

"Like it or lump it" click box consent is anathema.

ICT is plenty mature enough to deliver far better, more equitable and
trustworthy 'solutions', but the economic incentives are all wrong - not
least because law/regulation still permits conflation of primary and
secondary uses (i.e. actually selling you the coffee vs spamming you about
the panini & chocolate muffins for the rest of your life).

This is an important discussion, and a great panel: upgrade the "Agree"
button!