[MyData & Open Data] London HIV clinic accidentally reveals hundreds of patients' identities

Zara Rahman zara at theengineroom.org
Wed Sep 2 14:12:20 UTC 2015

..and to add to that, the recipients of the newsletter never actually
*signed up* to receive the newsletter, they just seem to have been added
without an opt-in.

They also seem to have no mitigation plan:

" BuzzFeed News contacted the Chelsea and Westminster hospital to ask
what they planned to do to ensure such a mistake could not be repeated.
“Erm…that’s a good question actually,” said Mark Purcell, a spokesperson
for the hospital. “I think they [56 Dean Street] are obviously looking
very much into this.”

There are more details on the mistakes they've made/are making in this
Buzzfeed piece -
http://www.buzzfeed.com/patrickstrudwick/leading-hiv-clinic-accidentally-releases-the-names-and-email#.uk7N0zbXg

Zara

On 02/09/2015 11:03, Marieke Guy wrote:
> In the news today...
>
> One of Britain’s leading sexual health clinics has apologised after
> mistakenly revealing the identities of hundreds of HIV-positive patients.
>
> The 56 Dean Street clinic in London sent a newsletter on Tuesday that
> disclosed the names and email addresses of about 780 recipients. The
> newsletter is intended for people using its HIV and other sexual
> health services, and gives details of treatments and support.
> http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/02/london-clinic-accidentally-reveals-hiv-status-of-780-patients
>
> Marieke
> --
>
> Marieke Guy
> Project Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 |
> @mariekeguy <http://twitter.com/mariekeguy>
> Open Education Working Group <http://education.okfn.org/>
> Open Knowledge <http://okfn.org/> | @okfn <http://twitter.com/okfn>|
> Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> | Blog