[od-discuss] Provincial and Game OGLs; Open Definition 2.0

Kent Mewhort kent at openissues.ca
Sat Dec 7 12:53:58 UTC 2013

Interesting....my first take on the U.K. provision is that the license
is inclusive of information that's either "published", or that's
"disclosed under information access legislation".  I interpret the
clause-break this this way largely because information is not generally
"published...under information access legislation", it's only
disclosed.  Thus, if information is even placed online through an open
data portal, this would be publication and easily fit the first
criterion -- without the need to be disclosed under information access
legislation.  If my interpretation is correct, the purpose of this
clause is merely to make it clear that unpublished, nondislosed
information leaks are not licensed.

What do others think? This clause could certainly be interpreted
differently and I'm not certain of the intention of the drafters.

By the way, I should also mention that there could be other
interpretations of the issues I raised with respect to the interaction
between the BC OGL and BC FIPPA.  This, however, is in my opinion one of
key problems of the license.  I think the broad stroke of bringing in BC
FIPPA with a one-liner in the BC OGL leaves a lot of guesswork and legal
uncertainty of how the two interact.  I can barely make heads or tails
of the nuanced interactions, and I'm a lawyer with quite a bit of
experience with licenses and also some experience with Canadian FOI
legislation.  There's no way that most users are going to be able to
figure out for certain what's exempt, what's not, and what could become
exempt in the future.

Kent