[od-discuss] definition clarification wrt password access

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Dec 20 17:22:39 UTC 2013

"Open Access" when referred to scholarly publishing has been so corrupted
it's not a meaningful term.  I think I'd use the term Open Data in
preference.

There is a real problem in access to data caused by technical limitations.
Where the data "fits on a CDROM" or in dropbox it's possible to use normal
concepts. But when a data resource is only accessible through an API you
may not know the extent of it. In that case I think "Open data" should
include a concept of "give me an open listing of the data" and an API I can
use to iterate over it.

For example I have deposited 200,000 data sets in Cambridge University
repository but even I can't get them out as there is no search which
returns all of them and to build an iterator I have to write a program.
I've licensed them as PDDL (or CC-BY - forget which) but even though each
item is Open, I don't think I could call this "Open data".

And I *wanted* people to use the data!

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Paul Norman <penorman at mac.com> wrote:

> [...]

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics