[od-discuss] Storage of license texts in the repo - a first pass

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jun 25 18:04:17 UTC 2013

Hi All,

One thing we agreed at the last meeting was to move ahead with our plan of
storing licenses text <https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/issues/2> in
the repo <https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/>. Below is the outline of
a suggested approach to get us moving.

Rufus

*## Licenses*

*Also up at https://github.com/okfn/opendefinition/#licenses*

We are storing license texts. This is for several reasons:

* Analysis and review
* Preservation (and caching)

**Note: not all licenses we list will be Open Definition conformant as we
include licenses that are under discussion or some non-conformant licenses
for
preservation purposes.**

Approach:

* Store licenses as markdown files
* Store licenses in `/licenses/`

        # conformant licenses
        /licenses/conformant/{license-id}/{license-full-name}.md
        # licenses under review
        /licenses/inreview/{license-id}/{license-full-name}.md
        # non-conformant licenses
        /licenses/nonconformant/{license-id}/{license-full-name}.md
* The process is for license texts to go into inreview to start with and
then
  get moved to the appropriate location upon a decision by the Advisory
Council

Notes:

* license-id should be a short url-usable name e.g. odc-pddl or cc-zero
* Do not put a version in the license name unless is a differentiating
factor
  (e.g. gpl-v3.md)
  * We use github revisions to track changes (and you can use github tags if
    needed)

Example, suppose we were storing the Open Data Commons Public Domain
Dedication
and License.

    /licenses/odc-pddl/public-domain-dedication-license.md