[od-discuss] Open Government Licence - Canada, version 2.0

Levene, Mark Mark.Levene at tbs-sct.gc.ca
Mon Jun 10 20:21:49 UTC 2013

Hello all,

Here is another licence for your consideration, following on the United Kingdom's earlier today.

Attached is the Canadian variant of the Open Government Licence. There is a more generic version of the licence that jurisdictions in Canada will adapt (you've already seen Alberta's version). The one is the specific version that Canada will be using when we launch our next-generation portal (coming very soon).

When we posted a draft version of the Licence back in November, we received a substantial amount of feedback, including a note from the Open Definition group.  At the same time, we started working with a number of other jurisdictions in Canada to ensure that we're all using the same licence.

While the content of the licence is quite similar to the draft version, there are a number of significant changes to the language and presentation of the licence. I mentioned most of these changes earlier (http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-February/000306.html). Since then we've made a few more changes in language and, in response specifically to the OD comments, we have moved the "non-endorsement" clause from the restrictions section to its own section. The only restriction in the "You must ..." section is now attribution.

A few days, Mike Linksvayer raised a point about "personal data which is a matter of public record" in the Alberta version. This is not actually an issue. We were careful to provide a definition of "personal information" that references the jurisdiction-specific Privacy Acts. These permit the release of the type of information Mike is discussing. For the federal government that is the Privacy Act (see section 3, http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/P-21/page-1.html#personal, as per the definition in the Licence).

We think the attached version of the Licence meets the Open Definition and we look forward to hearing your feedback.

--Mark

Open Government Secretariat | Secrétariat du gouvernement ouvert

Information Management | Gestion de l'information

Chief Information Officer Branch | Direction du dirigeant principal de l'information

Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat | Secrétariat du Conseil du Trésor du Canada

Ottawa, Canada K1A 0R5

Mark.Levene at tbs-sct.gc.ca<mailto:Mark.Levene at tbs-sct.gc.ca>

Telephone | Téléphone 613-952-5948 / Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-954-6811 / Teletypewriter | Téléimprimeur 613-957-9090