[od-discuss] OD Proliferation Policy

Kent Mewhort kent at openissues.ca
Wed Jun 19 13:55:25 UTC 2013

On 13-06-18 07:15 AM, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> There are actually two things here
> * Tweaking http://opendefinition.org/licenses/process/ to emphasize
> explanation of motivation and why another license needed; relatively
> easy -- any suggested edits?
Perhaps:
(-) 3. State the rationale for the new license.
(+) 3. Think about license proliferation [link to another page with
info]. Explain the rationale for the new licence.
State the rationale for the new license
State the rationale for the new license.
State the rationale for the new license.
> * Tweaking http://opendefinition.org/licenses/ to recategorize and
> recommend some licenses over others (beyond the easy old/deprecated
> distinction now made) -- any proposals?
My first stab would be:
  - Recommended
  - Not recommended
    - Superseded
    - Non-reusable
    - Specialized (for a narrow purpose / range of uses)

This would basically be a slight simplification of the OSI categories.
Interestingly, it seems OSI chose to avoid Recommended / Not recommended
so as to not tread into policy territory  -- from
http://opensource.org/proliferation-report:

    Originally, the LP Committee started to divide the OSI approved
    licenses into "recommended," "non-recommended" and "other" tiers.
    The committee concluded, however, that any such normative
    characterization would properly be a matter for policy matter for
    the OSI Board to decide. Thus, we switched from the
    "recommended"/"non-recommended" terminology to a more descriptive
    terminology including the following categories:

      * Licenses that are popular and widely used or with strong communities
      * Special purpose licenses
      * Licenses that are redundant with more popular licenses
      * Non-reusable licenses
      * Other/Miscellaneous licenses

IMO, licensing very much is a policy matter, so I'm not necessarily
recommended the same course -- but it's something to consider.

As for these two action items in general (submission policy &
categorization), I think it's a great course of action to help address
the problem.

Kent