[od-discuss] OD conformant proposal: Open Government Licence v2.0 []

Luis Villa luis at lu.is
Sat Jun 22 22:06:12 UTC 2013

+1 for OSD-compliance.

However, several notes:

- in light of the proposed changes to the definition that have been
discussed here) it would be nice to either remove the things that are
UK-specific, or make them all examples. e.g.:

"identity documents such as the British Passport." is fine;
but "(including the Freedom of Information Acts for the UK and
Scotland)" should really also be "such as";
and "the Royal Arms" should be generalized into something less
specific to the UK, with the Royal Arms listed merely as an example.

- Not really sure what to do with the definition of Licensor. I'm not
an expert in UK law, but isn't "the Controller of Her Majesty’s
Stationery Office" an "Information Provider which has the authority to
offer Information under the terms of this licence", making the second
part of the clause redundant?

- re "These terms are compatible with the Creative Commons Attribution
License 4.0" - I would not say that until 4.0 is actually final.
(Really, most of this section probably shouldn't be in the license,
but rather in a separate document - but maybe it is and the .docx I
received is not clear when opened in LibreOffice?)

- re "This means that when the Information is adapted and licensed
under either of those licences, you automatically satisfy the
conditions of the OGL when you comply with the other licence." - Does
this license allow adaptation under another license? I see no
indication of that elsewhere in the license, and it would not be the
default situation under Berne, which is potentially quite confusing.

HTH-
Luis