[od-discuss] Comparison of OGL-Canada v2.0 to OGL-BC v2.0

Mike Linksvayer ml at gondwanaland.com
Wed Jun 26 20:44:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM, Herb Lainchbury <
herb at dynamic-solutions.com> wrote:

> Since BC also launched their new licence last week here is the wdiff of
> the OGL-Canada v2.0 and the OGL-BC v2.0.  These licences are very similar
> but I wouldn't say they are the same licence.  Like the Alberta licence,
> the BC license has an extra exemption which I think is enough to say it's a
> different licence.

http://blog.data.gov.bc.ca/2013/06/british-columbia-adopts-canadian-open-government-license/
http://www.data.gov.bc.ca/local/dbc/docs/license/OGL-vbc2.0.pdf

As this BC is already released I'd propose holding off on a conformance
vote until after we've done one for OGL Canada 2.0, or at the same time.
Comments http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/od-discuss/2013-June/000488.htmlon
OGL Canada 2.0 obviously apply here

Is the additional exemption problematic? "Information or Records that are
not accessible under applicable laws;"

Interestingly, BC also uses the spelling "License" instead of "Licence" as
> the other jurisdictions do.  BC also numbers their clauses.
>
> Other than the spelling differences and the numbering, Alberta and BC are
> most similar in my opinion as they both have the extra exemption referring
> to records.  So, they might be considered equivalent.

Agree.

> It's unfortunate that we haven't seen a parameterized license where
> difference in name and legislation are dealt with in a definitions section.
>  Maybe I am wrong but it seems to me that would allow publishers to use
> exactly the same license text.

The BC blog post above says:

The license is the result of public input and the governments of Canada,
Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia and David Eaves <http://eaves.ca> all
working together to create a license not only for the federal government,
but one that any jurisdiction in Canada can adopt.

Maybe in the eventuality of 3.0, if it ever happens, the exact same text
can be used. Worldwide? :-)