[od-discuss] The Open Educational Resources Definitions

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Wed Mar 13 22:51:32 UTC 2013

It appears to me that this is mostly a discussion of different approaches
to licensing with the actual 'definition' in question being summarized in
the paragraph:

"OER are teaching, learning, and research resources that reside in the
public domain or have been released under an intellectual property license
that permits their free use and re-purposing by others. Open educational
resources include full courses, course materials, modules, textbooks,
streaming videos, tests, software, and any other tools, materials, or
techniques used to support access to knowledge."

Skipping past the discussion portion, I would say that this statement is
NOT equivalent to the open definition for at least one important reason.
 It says nothing about limiting restrictions.  By this standard one could
release a work under an intellectual property license that allows the free
use and re-purposing by others under a set of restrictions and it would
pass this the OER but would fail to conform to opendefinition.org because
of a restriction other that the two allowed (attribution and share alike).

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>wrote:

> I'd be interested to see if people thought if this was broadly
> 'functionally equivalent' to OpenDefinition.org? Not clear to me which
> licenses are compliant:
>

> https://learn.canvas.net/courses/4/wiki/open-educational-resources-definitions
>
> --
> Jonathan Gray <http://jonathangray.org/> | @jwyg <http://twitter.com/jwyg>