[od-discuss] City of Calgary Open Data License Approval Request

Simbirski, Walter Walter.Simbirski at calgary.ca
Mon Mar 18 19:22:04 UTC 2013

Good point. Thanks!

From: mlinksva at gmail.com [mailto:mlinksva at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Mike Linksvayer
Sent: 2013 March 18 11:09 AM
To: Andrew Stott
Cc: Simbirski, Walter; od-discuss at lists.okfn.org
Subject: Re: [od-discuss] City of Calgary Open Data License Approval Request

+1 to all Andrew says.

One broader comment: the document may be largely fine as a ToU for a website but that's out of scope for compliance with http://opendefinition.org/okd

Bundling ToU with data permissions may indirectly lead to some of the problems Andrew pointed out. One path forward would be to unbundle -- put whatever you need to in the ToU with respect to use of the site/service, but grant permission to use the data under a standard, already approved license.

Mike