[od-discuss] City of Calgary Open Data License Approval Request

Simbirski, Walter Walter.Simbirski at calgary.ca
Tue Mar 19 15:44:24 UTC 2013

Hi Kent,

I agree that the current OD procedure should change for all the reasons you give and I would certainly support such a move.

If the City of Calgary were creating a new licence  it would be counterproductive to create a "vanity licence" and then ask for a review but you are assuming that the CC licences are "long-established" in comparison to the City of Calgary licence. The City of Calgary licence was created in 2010 and modified in 2011 based on what was happening in the Open Data world at the time. When the licence was created (and modified) the CC licences were not in the same state they are in today and there was much public discussion around alternate Open Data licences as well.  The City of Calgary licence incorporated much of what was in existence but there were no clear leaders at that time.

You are also assuming that it is an easy matter for us to replace the existing license with one that is popular and long-established but that is not the case. This will require review and approval by the City's legal and intellectual property departments and this can be a time consuming process. In order to begin this process it will be helpful to know what elements of our existing licence are unacceptable.

I am also not sure why you call our existing licence "non-reusable". The reference you site states: "Licenses in this group are specific to their authors and cannot be reused by others. Many, but not all, of these licenses fall into the category of vanity licenses". I think that the licence could be used by any government body simply by substituting the legal entity and jurisdiction.

Thanks!

Walter